Totus Tuus - To Jesus through Mary.

To impel the beauty of the new evangelization – this is the charism of the Heralds of the Gospel; Its founder, Monsignor João Dias explains."The Heralds of the Gospel is a private association of faithful with a very special charism based essentially on three points: the Eucharist, Mary and the Pope."

The Heralds of the Gospel are an International Association of the Faithful of Pontifical Right, the first to be established by the Holy See in the third millennium, during a ceremony which occurred during the feast of the Chair of St. Peter (February 22) in 2001.

The Heralds of the Gospel strive to be instruments of holiness in the Church by encouraging close unity between faith and life, and working to evangelize particularly through art and culture. Their apostolate, which differs depending upon the environments in which they work, gives pride of place to parish animation, evangelizing families, providing catechetical and cultural formation to young people, and disseminating religious Iiterature.



Thursday 2 April 2015

There is still time for the Sacrament of Confession before Easter





A Difficult Confession... A Communion Filled with Consolation

“I could not have been more relieved: I wept with happiness. I venture to say that it was on that day that I became an honest man.” Thus, François-René de Chateaubriand of the Académie Française, describes the effects of a well-made childhood Confession.

In his famous work, Memoires d’outre-tombe (Memoirs From Be- yond the Grave), Chateaubriand — renowned diplomat and great French writer — reveals how he overcame a trial, undergone by many souls and yet to be experienced by many others. He narrates the story in the literary style typical of the early 1800s.

 The time for making my first communion approached. My piety appeared sincere; I edified the whole school. My fasts were frequent enough to cause my masters concern.  I had for a confessor the superior of the seminary, a man of fifty and of stern demeanour. Each time I approached the confessional he anxiously questioned me. Surprised at the triviality of my sins, he did not know how to reconcile my distress with the lack of importance of the secrets I confided to him. As Easter approached the priest’s questions became more incisive.
“Are you withholding anything from me?”
“No, Father.”
“Have you committed such and such a sin?”
“No, Father.”
It was always: “No, Father.” He dismissed me doubtfully, sighed and gazed into the depths of my soul. I left his presence pale and guilt-ridden as a criminal.
I was to receive absolution on the Wednesday of Holy Week. I spent the night between Tuesday and Wednesday in prayer, reading with terror the book of Painful Confessions. On the Wednesday, at three in the afternoon, we set out for the seminary accompanied by our parents.
Upon arrival, I prostrated before the altar and lay there as if vanquished. When I arose to enter the sacristy where the superior awaited, my knees trembled beneath me.
I cast myself at the priest’s feet, and it was only in the most strained of tones that I managed to pronounce my Confiteor.
“Well, have you forgotten anything?” the man of God asked me.
I remained silent. His questions continued; always the fatal, “no, Father,” issued from my lips. He meditated; he sought counsel of Him who conferred upon the Apostles the power of binding and loosing souls. Then, with an effort he prepared to give me absolution. It would have caused me less dread had a thunderbolt issued from heaven. I cried out:
“I have not confessed all!”
The redoubtable judge, the delegate of the Supreme Arbiter, whose face had so evoked fear, now became the most tender of shepherds; he embraced me, and I melted in tears:
“Come now,” he said to me. “My dear boy, courage!”
I will never have a similar moment in my life. I could not have felt more relieved had the weight of a mountain been lifted from me I wept with happiness. I venture to say that it was on that day that I became an honest man. The first step having been taken, the rest cost little.
“After all,” he added, “you have little time for penitence; but you have been cleansed of your sins by a courageous, though tardy, avowal.”
Raising his hand, he pronounced the formula of absolution. On this second occasion, that fearful hand showered nothing but heavenly dew upon my head; I bowed to receive it, feeling a participation in the joy of the angels.
I ran to the foot of the altar where my mother awaited me and cast my- self into her arms. I no longer seemed to be the same person to my masters and schoolfellows; I walked with a light step, head held high with an air of radiance in the triumph of repentance.

On the following day, Holy Thursday — the commemoration of the In- stitution of the Eucharist — Chateaubriand received his First Communion.
What he felt in his childish heart remains between him and God alone. Nevertheless, we can affirm that the presence of the Eucharistic Jesus in his soul made him tremble with love and happiness. For he later affirmed that like the martyrs of old, he would gladly have laid down his life and shed his blood on that occasion to praise and       honour Him. ²

From archives of the Heralds of the Gospel magazine Vol. 1, No. 3 Jan-Feb 2007

No comments: