Totus Tuus - To Jesus through Mary.

To impel the beauty of the new evangelization – this is the charism of the Heralds of the Gospel; Its founder, Monsignor João Dias explains."The Heralds of the Gospel is a private association of faithful with a very special charism based essentially on three points: the Eucharist, Mary and the Pope."

The Heralds of the Gospel are an International Association of the Faithful of Pontifical Right, the first to be established by the Holy See in the third millennium, during a ceremony which occurred during the feast of the Chair of St. Peter (February 22) in 2001.

The Heralds of the Gospel strive to be instruments of holiness in the Church by encouraging close unity between faith and life, and working to evangelize particularly through art and culture. Their apostolate, which differs depending upon the environments in which they work, gives pride of place to parish animation, evangelizing families, providing catechetical and cultural formation to young people, and disseminating religious Iiterature.



Sunday 10 February 2013

Ash Wednesday - 13 February 2013



May we offer a reminder:

According to the canon law Ash Wednesday is a day of fast and abstinence for all Catholics who are between the ages of 18-60.

Those who are bound by this may take only one full meal, and two small meals, that day. Children under 18 do not have to fast, but parents should discuss the importance of fasting with them and encourage them to make a little act of self-sacrifice on this day. 



All baptized Catholics from 14 upwards, are required to abstain from consuming meat (beef and chicken). 


Catholics are required to abstain on Fridays during Lent.

N.B. When health or ability to work would be seriously affected, the law does not oblige. In doubt concerning fast or abstinence, consult the parish priest or a confessor.

Struggling with your Lenten Promise’s?

PRAYER OF ST. TERESA ON MORTIFICATION
“Why O Lord, should I be preoccupied with my fears and lose courage in the face of my weakness? You give me to understand that I must fortify myself in humility, and convince myself that I can do very little alone, and that without your help I am nothing. I shall put all my confidence in your mercy, and shall distrust my own strength, convinced that my weakness is caused by my self-reliance. You teach me not to be astonished at my struggle, for when a soul wishes to give itself over to mortification, it encounters difficulties on all sides. Does it wish to give up its ease? What a hardship! To scorn a point of honor? What a torture! To endure harsh words? Intolerable suffering! In short, it becomes filled with extreme sadness, but as soon as it resolved to die to the world, every anguish is at an end.”
Saint Teresa of Avila

No comments: